Gin & Juniper Glazed Ham
Looking for something a bit different this year for your glazed ham, try Donna Hay's Gin & Juniper Glazed Ham
- 3 CUPS (750ML) ORANGE JUICE
- 3 CUPS (720G) FIRMLY PACKED CSR DARK BROWN SUGAR
- ¾ CUP (180ML) WHITE WINE VINEGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS JUNIPER BERRIES
- 6 BAY LEAVES
- 8 SPRIGS LEMON THYME
- ⅓ CUP (80ML) GIN
- 1 X 6–7KG HAM LEG
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Place the juice, sugar, vinegar, juniper berries, bay leaves and thyme in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until reduced. Remove from the heat, add the gin and stir to combine.
- Use a sharp knife to score the skin around the sides and hock of the ham, before using your fingers to gently remove the rind. Trim any excess fat. Wrap the hock of the ham with non-stick baking paper followed by aluminium foil. Place the ham, top-side (fat-side) down, in a tight-fitting, deep-sided roasting pan. Pour the glaze over the ham and roast for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C. Turn the ham over, baste with the glaze and roast for a further 20–25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the ham from the pan and place on a large serving platter. Brush the remaining glaze over the ham before carving to serve. Serves 12–14